Changing Colors

 Changing Colors

I've always hated fall
it was death dressed in pretty colors.

I lived for summer travel
swimming, fireflies
and blackberry pie.

Lately though
the summer heat
is just burning me out.

Like a needy toddler
the heat clings to me
weighs me down
like the ring I used to wear.

When you walked away
I buried my face in my hands
embarrassed that
I couldn't make it work
in denial of my failure.

I was stuck there
like the groove left on my finger
but it's finally faded.

Now that I've reached
the autumn of my life
the fall breeze feels like
a mother's caress 
and carries memories of song
and innocence.

Geese fly in vees
trees do their slow strip tease
leaves line streets
fragile as a lover's vow.

Amid the black opal sky
Libra Moon calls out to me
to embrace my changing colors
to sweep regrets into the wind
to cherish family and friends. 

To be grateful for little things
the sunset, a kitten's purr
pumpkin pie
and my granddaughter's smile.

But there's a chill in the air
that promises winter is near
and that time is on loan.

___________________________________________

You were right, the last poem I sent you, it was not my birthday. I guess I hit the wrong thing when I filled out the Memmo. This time though, it is my birthday (on the 12th). 



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

Wilted