The Carrizo Plain





The Carrizo Plain


Driving down the washboard dirt road
Soft and inviting like an old wrinkled blanket
are the Caliente and Temblor Mountains
with their contiguous rolling hills
surrounding the flat, lonely, grassland of the Carrizo Plain.

Soda Lake, the heart of the vale
an alkali wetland,
a three thousand acre ephemeral pool
almost dry, it leaves
a glistening breadth of sulfate and carbonate salts
Wind picks up the particles
and creates a majestic, white spire
that swirls its way toward the heavens.

The San Andreas Fault is unmistakable here
the point where the Pacific and North American Plates join.
A steep arroyo marks the site of their union.
This unstable marriage has left scars on the Temblors
with offsets thirty feet high.

California condors forage this plain
Sandhill cranes winter in the marshes.
Spring rains nourish a variety
of flamboyant wildflowers.

Painted Rock emerges from the eastern grassland
a distinct sandstone formation
pushed up millions of years ago by a brutal quake.
It juts out of the prairie like
bones of the earth.

Some crevices take on the
characteristics of a skull
two hollowed eyes stare toward the base
of the Caliente Mountains.

I walk around the perimeter in awe.
Colorful moss and lichens grace it s surface.

Blackened ceilings in the shallow caves indicate
camp fires once burned in them.
There is a holy feel to this protrusion.

Faded red and black paintings made by ancient shaman
remind me of the Chumash tribes who survived on the
Tule Elk and pronghorn antelope of the region.

A painted rattle snake,
an eye,
or is it a sun?
I wonder what spiritual meaning did these symbols
hold for their painters?

And then my biology teacher asks
"Two hundred years from now, will archaeologists
uncover graffiti on the side of buildings and hypothesize
that it is some sort of spiritual pictogram?



In memory of Dr. Jeanette Rollinger. 

__________________________________________________

A lot of my poems are in memory of people that I loved.

Jeanette was my biology professor and this was a field trip for her Natural History of California class. I turned in this prose as my report for that field trip back in 2004. 

Jeanette became the best friend I ever had. My sons called her "Aunt Jeanette," and I was closer to her than I am to my own sister. She beat cervical cancer when she was in her thirties. At 52, she had just found the love of her life and was planning her wedding when she found out she had pancreatic cancer. 

It has been four years now, but I still miss her so much. She touched so many lives and put so much good into the world. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

Wilted

Changing Colors