I - 80

I 80

The scent of diesel and cigarettes
put me in that white Freightliner with you.

We tugged forty tons
up the Pennsylvania mountains.
The load pushed us back down
jake brake barking all the way.

Every curve in that highway
mapped by muscle memories
and twisted into logbooks.

We were wild women
powering down the Interstate. 
Men struggled to keep up
hoping for more than a CB romance.

One of us slept
while the other one drove
a fuel stop in Milton
a shower
a slice of truck stop pizza to go.

Headed into the sun
'til our eyes turned red
and the horizon bled into the road.

The changing landscape
a new world being born before us.

Topping mountains
the stars just out of reach
city lights melt
into Van Gogh skies.

Raising children over the phone.
Had to keep moving
outrun the guilt of
being on the road.

Rolling through chicken coops
dodging four wheelers
ears on, hammer down.

Miles and miles of asphalt
lined by maple and spruce.
Counting carcasses
became a game.

Punxutawney Phil didn't
do us any favors that
February night we got iced in
with a timed load.

The next morning
every mile marker
was a tombstone
for truckers who
made their deadlines
forever. 

You taught me so much
but students eventually graduate.

And you
all these years
in my mind
you were still leading the convoy
across the Poconos
training new drivers
singing to Madonna
laughing off the bad pick-up lines
and counting off the miles

until you were safe
at home
with your family.

______________________________________

In memory of Lady J. 


Yes, I used to drive a big rig. At that time, I was the primary bread winner, while my husband stayed home with our oldest son. I drove for about a year, until I got pregnant with our younger son. 

I thought that my trainer, Jeri and I had simply lost touch with each other, but I found out recently that she was killed in a wreck only a year after I quit driving. That hit me hard. 

"Chicken coops" are CB slang for DOT weigh stations. 

(My CB handle was Morning Star, btw.)

A timed load meant that the factory we had to deliver to needed the materials we were carrying in order to continue manufacturing. Without them, the whole factory would have to shut down. We were several hours late due to the ice. The company we drove for had to pay fines because we did not get there in time, but they supported our decision not to try and drive down that icy mountain at night. 

I made it to 43 states while I was trucking, but Jeri and I spent most of our time on I-80 between Vining, NJ and Wheeling, Il. That is where I still envision her. 

The picture is one of my company's trucks. 


I hope your Christmas was magical. 

The GOTR concert on Cameo was great. I loved it. Thank you for inviting us into your home for it. 

And a thank you to Sullivan and Kevin as well.   












.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

Wilted

Changing Colors