Vacancy

Vacancy 

It was the perfect night
for a ride in your old Silverado
until you found a train to race.
Sound of its whistle
blew straight through me
as you drove between the crossing gates.

My heart quivered
like the speedometer needle
and your lips were hotter
than your 454 manifold.

The city seems lonely
looking down from Bear Hill at night.
You told me all your fast ambitions
while drinking a fifth of Jack.
I watched the signal at Cross and Maine

turn from red to green
and back to red
avoiding your eyes
but the moonlight was powdered sugar on my skin
and you were determined to taste it.

Not even the darkness was perfect.
I opened my eyes to the
red neon VACANCY sign
flashing across my face
while you squeezed my hips and groaned.

Morning sun melted between us
I watched your eyes
in reckless R.E.M. and knew
I’d never share your dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

Wilted

Changing Colors