Lessons from the Sky

Lessons from the Sky

It's been a taffy pull year and a half
time stretched
resources stretched 
sanity stretched.

I feel like water gathered
in an old tire 
as days trickle downhill. 


It's tough to move on 
when the whole world is in a time out
but I'm getting to a place
where I like myself again. 

Still, time feels like a toy
lost in childhood. 
I've spent so much of it

reading the horizon

watching clouds drift.


I've chased metaphors
sank into similes
played hide-and-seek with allusions
but my muse has been stingy
all it can muster is angst. 

I don't care what those 
scientific studies say
chocolate kisses 
don't make me feel loved. 

I'm okay being alone
never needed anybody to
complete me, but

just once

it would be nice 

to have someone 

toss pebbles at my window
someone to share poetry and music with
explore science and Shakespeare with
someone with whom I can 

match wits. 

I wasted too many years with a man
who never heard my heart
so I am taking lessons from the sky 
on how to rewrite myself 
and pull some beauty
out of the pain. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow

Wilted

Changing Colors